Safety Tips - Smell Gas? Turn off Tank!
7th Jun 2019
Safety Tips - What to do if you smell propane!
1. NO FLAMES OR SPARKS!
- Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames.
- Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones.
- Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
- Never store propane with other hazardous products!
2. LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY!
- Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
3. SHUT OFF THE GAS.
- Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so.
- To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
4. REPORT THE LEAK.
- From a neighbor's home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call your propane retailer right away.
- If you can't reach your propane retailer, call 911 or your local fire department.
5. DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA.
- Wait until an emergency responder or qualified service technician determines that it is safe to return.
6. GET YOUR PROPANE GAS SYSTEM CHECKED.
- Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.