DOT & ASME Propane Tank Differences
Should I buy a DOT tank or an ASME tank?
Here are the basic differences?
- No Recertification period required.
- Slightly thicker steel.
- Slightly heavier than a DOT tank of the same capacity.
- Designed for stationary installation. Not designed to be moved when containing propane.
- Design & Standards are governed by American Society of Engineers. (ASME).
- Recertification period requirements are: 12 Years from date of Manufacturing, then every 5 Years.
- Designed for Portable Applications. Can be transported with propane, if done so according to Code.
- Design & Standards governed by Department of Transportation (DOT).