Propane Tank Regulators - Size Matters!
Propane Tank Regulators - Choose Wisely, Size Matters!
It does not matter if you have a large propane tank or a small 5 gallon propane cylinder, almost all applications require a pressure regulator. A word of caution - one size does not fit all applications. One regulator may work well on a gas grill but may be too small for a home heating system. Always seek the assistance of a certified gas technician when making a regulator selection. Regulators must be able to: 1) produce the proper pressure, 2) and the proper BTU requirement for the total of all propane burning appliances connected to the gas line.
What propane facts are considered by a certified gas technician when choosing a regulator?
- Total BTU requirement of all gas burning appliances connected to the propane tank.
- Distance of travel from the propane tank or propane cylinder to each appliance.
- Diameter of the propane gas lines to include main supply line and any gas line that branch off of the main line.
- Manufacturer recommended pressure requirements.
Propane regulators guidelines you need to know!
- Propane regulators are manufactured for a variety of applications.
- Some deliver 10 psi while others deliver 11 inches of water column (approximately 1/2 psi)
- Also some regulators are considered adjustable medium pressure regulators and are used in special applications.
- Some are single stage and others are two stage.
Propane Safety Lesson: To void injury or death to yourself or others, NEVER try to install your own propane gas line, regulator and/or appliances. Get help from a professional propane gas service person.