OPD Valve! What is it?
23rd Nov 2018
What is an OPD Valve?
"OPD" is an acronym for "Overfill Protection Device"
- National Code now requires that all propane tanks of 40 lbs or less are fitted with an OPD
To ensure that a propane cylinder is not overfilled.
How does it work?
- OPD's are designed to be activated by a float valve and are required on all propane tanks of 40 lbs or less.
- It prevents overfilling by shutting off the tank valve when the proper propane level is reached.
- A 20% empty space, in the upper portion of the tank is retained for fuel expansion.
- This OPD feature can also be inadvertently activated by tilting a full propane tank.